Hi again, thought I would share how we turned two old bedside tables into a playkitchen for our grandsons. This began when they rec'd a new playkitchen for Christmas, it didn't take many hours to see that although it was beautiful and expensive it was not going to last very long. Thankfully the store took it back and we promised to come up with something a little sturdier. So here goes... First I found two wood (not pressed board) Bedside tables of similar size.
We then decided which one would be the sink and counter and which would be the stove. I added to brackets from an old kitchen counter to one side of the cupboard, this was so we could extend the countertop, these were glued and pinned,so that the top of the bracket was flush with the top of the existing top. We then cut a piece of leftover wood that would cover the entire top surface and also glued and pinned that in place.
Next we cut two more pieces of wood for the backs of the cupboards, these pieces we made bid enough to go all the way from the floor and extend higher than the cupboards by about 8". (This is totally up to you and could be flush with the counter or much higher.) These pieces were also attached with glue and pins. Now you have the basic pieces of your kitchen ready,we left them separate for ease of moving them so they would not be so heavy,but they could be attached and even have castors or wheels on them so they could easily be moved. We chose not to
because anything with wheels is now a vehicle and the temptation to ride it would be too much and I thought the walls would be happier if this was staitonary. Next we found a bowl and some old bathroom taps and decided where we were going to drill and cut the holes to accomadate them. We traced around the bowl and taps then drilled holes for the taps and a pilot hole for the sink. Then used a jigsaw to cut the sink hole, being sure to cut the hole about 1/2 " smaller than the outside lip of the bowl, so that it cannot fall through. (Silicone around the bottom edge of the bowl lip and press into place after the cupboard is painted)
We sanded and primed both pieces, so they were ready for paint. Then I started looking around for things to make burners, knobs etc. I didn't buy anything new just used what we had, but you could make this as fancy as you wanted. This version is very plain, but we can girly it up when baby sister is old enough to play with it. I used some leftover melamine paint so it should be very easy to clean.
The finished product. I used old CD's for the burners, a variety of old cupboard knobs and an old ceramic tile dish for decoration, but if you were good at painting that would be awesome for the burners. You could also add little curtains or doors to the bottom of the cupboards. This set will probably evolve as it goes through different children. Would love some pictures of what you come up with if you try this.